Monday, January 28, 2013

DMing with a copilot, Next's goals

Is D&D Next offering too many options? After reading today's post by Mike Mearls I'm under the impression that something akin to RPG "simple user interface" is very distant from their priority list. He mentions dials, but shouldn't it just have one dial on the "lets play" scale that goes up to 11? Will so many dials require a coGM and campaign-engineer akin to the old time airliners? (image cockpit 707)

The article left me asking myself if building my own RPG is what I really want. More importantly, do I want to go through this "dialing" process with my gaming group, and how does this affect online gaming? If I have my own personal "dial settings" for D&D, how does that add to the setup time on G+?

As noble a cause as it may seem I think Mike Mearls is missing the point. Building three levels of game is a noble cause. I'd even go as far as supporting the basic and standard. Keeping the basic as an entry point with a small learning curve, but the advanced rules with so many options and dials is a bit too much.

Rules that affect the core, may not work together, haven't been playtested together (read emerging dynamics here) and have pretty much a "use under your own risk" sign, sounds like lots of add-ons and many many dials to turn and adjust. Gives me the feeling of a "user interface nightmare", something as a GM I'd like to stay away from if I hope to keep my sanity and that of my online players.

Anyone else see this coming as an issue not only to adjust your own game, but to relate to other online players and a real game stopper for G+ Hangout gaming?



Image
http://www.airliners.net/photo/1062196/

No comments: